- What does manhood mean to Dave?
- How does the narrator's tone contrast with Dave's attitude?
- At what point in the story do you suspect its outcome? What are the clues?
- What might the reader understand about manhood as a result of Dave's actions?
- What are the connections between guns and manhood? In what ways does this story undermine these connections?
- What comment does this story make about the relationship between race and manhood?
The Life and Times of Richard Wright
part 1 and part 2