Background, The Crucible
What is a crucible? How is it symbolic?
Arthur Miller's, "Why I Wrote the Crucible."
Salem 1692 - The Witch Trials - 19 killed
- Death by hanging on Gallows Hill
- 13 of the killed were women
- Character motivation - who did what and why
- Irony - verbal, situational and dramatic
- Conflict - community and individual, internal and external
- Dialogue - how the plot is delivered
- Foreshadowing - events in the play foretell troubles ahead
- Mood - author's tone and reader's experience
- Tragic comedy - the play's themes cause debate - tragedy or tragicomedy